Wednesday 20 June 2007

Got Water?


We are in a drought in Alabama. When I look at my flowers and grass, it is obvious they are lacking the water needed for life. I try my best to water them daily, but like my Paw-Paw said, "There is nothing like rain water". I water my ferns daily. They were beautiful before a family of pesty bugs decided to take up residence on their leaves. They are looking for water I am sure. So now, my ferns are not pretty anymore either. However, the bugs seem to be doing just fine. Go figure!


So what is a drought? The Encyclopedia Britannica says a drought is a lack or insufficiency of rain for an extended period that causes a considerable water imbalance. A drought can cause not only the obvious water shortages and crop damage, but drought conditions lead to increased growth of algae in lakes. This contaminates water supplies. The water is no longer a safe place for fish and other aquatic life. Animals that drink from the rivers or streams can become sick and die; swimmers in affected waters may become ill.


Sound familiar? It should. Most Christians who attend church regularly are in a spiritual drought. They are lacking the necessary water needed for true life in Christ. In John 4:14, Jesus told the Samaritan woman "...whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." Jesus offers the water we need to prevent a spiritual drought. He is our water!

The spiritual drought we allow ourselves to live in is causing our own water shortage and crop damage in the church. It is also causing our water supply to be damaged. When we don't allow the "Living Water" (Christ) to flow in our lives we suffer a spiritual drought.

First we suffer a water shortage. When Christians are in a drought, we don't share Jesus. We stay in our own uncomfortable dry place and don't offer others the living water inside us.
We are therefore creating a water shortage to those around us.

When we are in a drought we also suffer crop damage. Jesus said in John 15, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." We can't produce fruit without Him. He also says "This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples". It is our responsibility as Christians to bear fruit, but we can't without water.

And a very dangerous consequence of a spiritual drought is contaminated water. When we are not allowing the living water to flow through us, we are not Christ like. What I mean is we become less like Him and more like....you know who. We don't treat others with love, we don't minister to each other and we justify our own actions. This is dangerous because those watching us don't see anything different in us. Our water appears to be contaminated. Why would they want our water. Especially when we seem so thirsty. So they seek water elsewhere.

When we are thirsty, we have to go to Him for a drink. Sometimes we are more thirsty than others, especially when it's hot outside (another lesson for another day). It is during those times we look for water a little harder. Just like the bugs in my ferns, we have to look for water in places we don't usually find it. Jeremiah 29:13 says "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart".

Don't live in a spiritual drought! Water can be found! Seek Him today.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Sheila!
Email me.
rg

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.