Thursday 7 June 2007

Me & My Baby at the Beach!


This picture was taken last year at the beach! I remember when I ask Jeff to take a picture of Will and me , I felt like I had not spent any time with him. See, Will loves to fish better than anything. The only thing he likes better is hunting and being with his dad & brother. So the whole time we were at the beach last year, he wanted to be with his dad and his brother, fishing! No mom time at all! This week Will and I went to the beach without Jeff & Shawn. My good friend Pam and her son Tucker went with us, but I had some time with Will without having to compete with the men in his life. Don't get me wrong, I love that he wants to spend time with his dad, I love that he would rather be with him than me. It means he is normal. I just miss him sometimes.
I wanted to do something he liked so ....we fished. I had no idea what I was doing, and it was obvious Will counts on Jeff to do a lot of " hook work". So my job was to bait his hook with squid. Yuck, yuck, yuck. It smelled awful and felt even weirder. But, I wanted to make a good impression. I wanted him to think I was good at stuff too, so I kept putting that squid on the hook. The first 10 times he cast his rod, the squid was gone immediately. He informed me I was doing it wrong. So I worked on it a little longer, which meant I touched the squid more than I wanted to. Then it was ok. He got a few bites, and then the moment I feared the most, he caught a fish. Now...how were we going to get it off that hook? Will quickly told me that dad always took his fish off the hook. Thank goodness there was another fisherman on the pier who was glad to take it off the hook. When he handed the fish to Will, he dropped it. He picked it up and through it over into the water!! I ask him why, and he said "Too small". I am sure he didn't want anyone to see, he didn't like handling the fish (and it was small). At the end of the day we had a good time. Even though I didn't know how to bait the hook correctly, I knocked over a whole bag of bait into the water, dropped the pliers into the water, broke his new rod (he fixed it later), and didn't know how to take the fish off the hook, it was fun.
My baby is growing up! We go to the beach 2-3 times a year. Because of work, Jeff only goes with us once. Will has always been satisfied to play on the beach while I read or whatever. This time was different. He missed his dad! So did I!

No comments: