Wednesday 4 April 2007

The Betrayal

The week before Jesus' death and resurrection, has always been very interesting to me, especially during the Easter season. As I study this Wednesday morning, I find myself reading about Judas, the betrayer.

Matthew said in chapter 26 that Judas went to the chief priest and asked, "What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?" How could he do such a thing? So I looked at what happened before he went to the chief priest. Interestingly, he had been with Jesus at Simon's house in Bethany. That night is when a woman came to Jesus with an Alabaster Jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on Jesus' head. Judas did not like this at all. He said the perfume should have been sold, and the money given to the poor. Yea right...he wanted the money for himself. See, Judas was the treasurer in the group. And he had been dipping into the money box for himself. Of course he was mad she didn't give that perfume up for "the cause".
The cause of Judas! He wasn't interested in the poor, he was interested in himself!

As I stand appalled at Judas' actions, I realize how many times some leaders of the church do the same thing. We start projects and "ministries" because it will be good for us. It will make us look good and fulfill a need that we have in our own hearts. Or because it will bring more people into the church, which will hopefully bring in more money, which will support our next projects. Unfortunately so many times it has nothing to do with the ministry of Christ at all. Nothing to do with bringing sinners into a saving relationship with the Savior.

When this woman poured that perfume on Jesus, she was preparing Him for burial. Jesus described her act as " a beautiful thing". Something that would be talked about around the world. It was meant to honor HIM. It was not meant to make her feel better, not to make her look good among all the other men in the room, she didn't give her perfume so people would talk about her sacrifice and praise her good works. She wanted to glorify and praise the one who had set her free from her sin!!

This Easter season I ask myself, "Am I like Judas?" "How have I betrayed Him?", "Is He pleased with my actions?". "Are the ministries I am involved in glorifying Christ?"
What are we willing to accept for betraying Jesus? Or do our actions ask the question Judas asked,

"How much will you give me to hand him over to you?"

No comments: