Friday 6 April 2007

Shall I Crucify Your King?

Good Friday. The day our Lord was crucified. As I open my Bible this morning to read John's recollection of the events of that day, I see something I haven't noticed before. John 19:15-16.

After talking with Jesus, Pilate realizes there is more to this man than he thought. He says to the Jews "Here is your King". But they cry "Crucify him". He begins to ask the Chief Priest, "Shall I crucify your King?"
And they answer "We have no King but Caesar.". This broke my heart this morning. The Chief Priests. The very ones God himself appointed,
reject His son, their Savior. They are the spiritual leaders of that time.
And yet they say, "We have no King but Caesar".

But, how many times do we live our life as if "I have no king but...". The definition of the word king means someone with a preeminent or superior position. Does my life show that Christ has a superior position over my life? Or, does my life show that I am in charge of my own life? Do I walk in obedience and submission? Or, do I walk in pride seeking my own way no matter who it hurts. Am I the King of my own life, or is He?

Later Pilate prepares a sign to hang over Jesus' head on the cross. It reads "Jesus of Nazareth, The King of the Jews". When the Jews saw the sign, they wanted it changed. They wanted it to read "he says he is the king of the Jews". But Pilate said "what I have written, I have written".
In other words, this is His sentence, and it will not be changed. It is almost as if Pilate wanted them to know that Jesus was being crucified because He was their King.

The words of the crowd that day had to hurt as bad as the nails peircing His hands and feet. Jesus was 100% God, but also 100% man. I don't understand how, but I accept it on faith. As a man, those word must have stung. "Crucify Him..., we have no King but Caesar...he says he is the king of the Jews..."

My prayer today, on Good Friday, is that my life reflects that He is my King. If "self" is the King of my life, then I want it to be crucified. Dead. I want to be crucified with Christ, so that I might live in HIM!
What about you?
Will you crucify your King?

No comments: