Saturday 24 March 2007

Why do we Celebrate?

God very gently tapped me on the shoulder this Saturday morning at 6:00 a.m. I was surprised when I woke up, it was still dark outside and
I knew I didn't have to get up. So, not recognizing the reason for the stirring, I rolled over and went back to sleep. Within 5 minutes, I felt it again. Tap, tap, tap then a quiet whisper in my spirit "Hey, it's ME. I am waiting on you, get up". I almost laughed. I remembered teaching this past weekend about how the Holy Spirit will start awakening you to spend time with Him. Funny how I was the one that didn't recognize His calling.

But on to what I learned this morning. I am studying the old Passover traditions celebrated by the Jewish people. It is so interesting.
I have realized lately how we don't use our Christian celebrations as a tool for teaching. We have a HUGE celebration at Christmas, but it has been so commercialized that we forget the reason for celebrating. We even dread the celebration. And at Easter, we concentrate more on new clothes and food and candy than we do Jesus offering us new life.
How awful.

God instituted in the Old Testament certain celebrations. When talking about the passover Exodus 12:14 says:
"This is a day you are to commemorate; for the generations to come you shall celebrate it as a festival to the Lord--a lasting ordinance.
He wants us to celebrate. But when it is time, we fall into a pattern that the world sets for us and we say things like "Oh, Christmas is right around the corner, I dread it". Shame on us!! We don't look forward to celebrating Christ's birth because if we are honest, His birth is not what we are celebrating. We are probably not celebrating at all, just going through the motions. Motions not ordained by God.

What if this year at Easter we taught our children and grandchildren and our neices & nephews about why we celebrate? What if we make it about more than new clothes and candy? What if everything in their Easter Baskets had meaning and we explained each meaning as they explored all the goodies inside? Do you think it could make a difference? I do! It is our responsibility as Christians to share our faith! Not just to our children but to each other. Psalm 78:4 says: We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, His power, and the wonders He has done.

This Easter I encourage you to share your faith with those around you.
Let this year's celebration be about our love for Christ and not useless motions the world has set in place. Let it be about new life in Christ Jesus!

No comments: