Monday 31 December 2007

Happy New Year!




New Years Eve has never been my favorite holiday. I always dreamed of being in Times Square with a fun, interesting guy, sipping on Champaign (even though I have ALWAYS hated the stuff) and wearing funny hats and making lots of noise. That dream never came true.


As a teenager and college student, I always had some type of babysitting job that evening. So I had to settle for viewing Times Square on TV and watching Dick Clark sip Champaign with all sorts of interesting people, …without me.


Then I met my husband, the outdoorsman. New Years Eve to him is code for “get to bed early so you can get up early and hit the woods”. I once made him go to a New Years Eve party with me. He made me leave at 9pm. I learned real quick to not plan anything. Now, I never accept an invitation from friends to attend their parties. Oh who am I fooling, we don’t get any invitations to parties. But if we did, I wouldn’t go. Mostly now because I can’t stay awake past 10pm. Oh, who am I fooling, I can’t stay awake past 8:30 pm.


So tonight as I sit on my couch and enjoy Times Square with Dick Clark and his new pal, Ryan, I will remember all the fond times we had together. When I watch that ball drop, I am sure that I will once again, wish I were there. Oh who am I fooling, I will never make it 'till the ball drops!


Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sheila, I know the feeling. I can count on one hand the number of times that J has stayed awake long enough to see the new year in. 30 plus years.....hmmph. Hey, wanna come over and watch Dick Clark with me?
rg