Sunday 9 December 2007

Back to the real world?

I have been blessed to be a stay home at home mom for 4 and half years. What a true blessing it has been to be home. But now, it is time to get back to the real world. The world where mom's get up early and leave the home to work. The world where crock pots are the most important appliance in the kitchen and the freezer is full of Hot Pockets and frozen pizzas. A world where laundry seems to double when you walk out the door and dishes seem to multiply. A world where laughing with Rick & Bubba is the only thing getting you through all the traffic! If I listened to this world, it would tell me that my job is the most important thing in life and I should sacrifice anything and everything to keep it. This world screams to me to be politically correct and to forget about what is at home for the next 8 hours.

I have to be careful to remember that this is only a job. My heart is at home, with my family. I have not given up my job of being a wife and mother. It will always be my first priority. This job is a means to provide very much needed income for the family that I love. I am a wife and a mother who just happens to be a patient coordinator at a local sleep clinic. Not a patient coordinator who is a wife and mother. My first job will always continue to come first.

So actually, my real world IS at home. It is the place I belong and I look forward to the day when God makes it possible for me to be here full time again.

I am, however, enjoying working again. It is nice to have conversations with adults and use my brain for a change. My job is a blessing from God and I thank Him for it. I pray that He will use me while I am there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheila, who is gonna make you grits in the mornings?!
~Amber

Sheila Lackey said...

Oh Amber...I wish it were you!
I also wish you were there to organize my desk!

Anonymous said...

Y'all are making me sad :(
Sheila, I miss you. I feel like I haven't seen you in forever. Hey, what happened to you on Sunday? You seemed to disappear.
rg