Saturday 7 July 2007

Generational Blessings

I have heard a lot about generational curses. If the truth be known, some have probably landed my way, and I am probably passing them on down to my kids even now. But today I would rather concentrate on the positive things that have been passed down to me from former generations.


We had a huge family reunion today for the Holsomback family (my Mom's family). As we all sat around telling funny stories from our past (mostly about our grandfather, Jess), my cousin Joey mentioned what a great woman our grandmother (Maude) had been. He was right.


My maternal grandmother, Maude Pickett Holsomback, was the mother to 9 children, who all adored her immensely. If I had to describe her I would say she was a Godly woman who believed in the power of prayer.


I remember being at her house one night and hearing her pray. She lived in a dangerous neighborhood, and so she prayed in front of the doors before she went to bed. She placed a bible, on a chair, in front of the door and prayed that we would be protected in the night. She told me that satan could never get past the Word of God. I thought it was funny. But, as I listened to her pray, she called out the names of all of her children and grandchildren and ask God to take care of them and draw them to Him. I can't remember her words exactly, but I do remember thinking how neat it was that she prayed for everyone. How could she remember all those names?



Today, as I look at the pictures from the reunion, I think of how her prayers were answered. So many of my cousins are serving God in their local churches, and my cousin Jeff, pastors a church in our community.


As far as my limb on this family tree, we are all born again Christians! My mom, sister, brother, all our spouses, and all our children are active in church (still believing God for baby Brealyn’s conversion). I believe this is an answer to a prayer offered to a listening God from an old lady sitting in a chair in front of her door. She would say that all the glory goes to God. I agree, but I know He answered her sweet prayers. I realize more than ever how important it is to pray for my children.

Psalm 89:1 - I will sing of the Lord's great love forever, with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post....and a promise that I needed to be reminded of this morning when I think about adult children who aren't doing the right thing for themselves OR their children. It breaks my heart. But, God is faithful, even when we aren't.
rg