Tuesday 23 October 2007

The Mercy of the Wind ???

I have always been a news junkie. I can sit for hours and watch news stories about the same subject. Sometimes I am so consumed I can't even sleep. The news reports of the fires of Southern California have been no exception for me.
I can't imagine having to leave my home with only minutes to gather my most valuable possessions.

On this particular news clip, I noticed the Mayor of Malibu saying, "We are at the mercy of the wind". If I were there I believe I would share with her that she is not at the mercy of the wind, but at the mercy of the one who makes the wind to blow. I am reminded of a story in the Bible when Jesus and His disciples were on a boat, and the storms came. Matthew records: The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?" They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!"

I pray for the residents of Malibu. I pray to the one who commands the wind, and am asking Him to intervene in this situation. I pray that the residents and Mayor will realize they are at HIS mercy.

If I had to evacuate with only minutes to decide what to take with me, I of course would make sure my family was safe and I would make sure I had my Bible and journals. That is a given. But what else would I want to take? I guess my pictures, but it would take me a while to gather them all. I guess I would take my grandmother's necklace and while I am in my jewelry box I would get the $17 I have stashed. Other than that, I am not sure.

What would you take? Please comment, I would love to read your answers.

In closing, pray for the people who have lost everything in these fires. Pray that the God of the wind and the rain will comfort them during this time of loss

No comments: